Username: Password:

Author Topic: Montgomery County  (Read 249 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Montgomery County
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
1.   Alabama State Capitol – Dexter Ave
2.   Alabama State University Historic District 915 S Jackson St
3.   Bell Building 207 Montgomery St
4.   Brame House – was on S. Hull, no longer present
5.   Patrick Henry Brittan House – 507 Columbus St
6.   Autin Hall – Maxwell AFB 2nd St
7.   Comm College Air Force Bld – Maxwell Blvd at Maxwell
8.   Cassimus House - 110 N Jackson St
9.   City of St. Jude Historic Dist – 2048 W Fairview Ave
10.   Cleveland Court Apartments – 620-638 Cleveland Ct
11.   Cloverdale Historic District – (Norman Bridge, Cloverdale, Fairview, Felder, Boultier)
12.   Cottage Hill Historic District –  (Goldthwaite, Bell, Holt, Clayton)
13.   Court Square Historic District – (Dexter Ave, Perry, Court, Monroe Streets)
14.   Jefferson Davis Hotel – Catoma and Montgomery Streets
15.   Dexter Avenue Baptist Church – 454 Dexter Ave
16.   Dowe Historic District – 320 and 334 Washington Ave and 114-116 S Hull St.
17.   Edgewood – 3175 Thomas Ave.
18.   First White House of the Confederacy – 644 Washington Ave
19.   Garden District – (Norman Bridge Rd, Court St., Jeff Davis & Fairview Ave)
20.   Gay House – 230 Noble Ave
21.   Gerald – Dowdell House – 405 S. Hull St.
22.   Governor’s Mansion – 1142 S. Perry St.
23.   Grace Episcopal Church – 906 Pike Rd
24.   Grove Court Apartments – 559 S. Court St
25.   Harrington Archaeological Site – Address Restricted
26.   Huntingdon College Campus District – 1500 E. Fairview Ave
27.   Jefferson Franklin Jackson House – 409 S Union St
28.   Gov. Thomas G Jones House – 323 Adams Ave
29.   Lower Commerce Street Historic Dist – (RR tracks, Commerce, N. Court, Bibb, Coosa)
30.   Maxwell AFB Officer’s Quarters Historic District
31.   McBryde-Screws-Tyson House – 433 Mildred St
32.   Montgomery Greyhound Bus Station – 210 S. Court Street
33.   Montgomery Union Station and Trainshed – Water Street
34.   Montgomery VA Hospital Historic District – 215 Perry Hill Rd
35.   Mt. Zion AME Zion Church – 467 Holt St
36.   Muklassa – Address Restricted
37.   The Murphy House – 22 Bibb Street
38.   Old Ship AME Zion Church – 483 Holcombe St
39.   Opp Cottage – 33 W. Jefferson Davis Ave.
40.   Orderman-Shaw Historic District – (McDonough, Decatur, Madison, Randolph)
41.   Pastorium, Dexter Ave. Baptist Church – 209 S Jackson St
42.   Pepperman House – 17 Mildred Street
43.   Perry Street Historic District – (McDonough, Sayre, Washington, Donaldson)
44.   Powder Magazine – End of Eugene St.
45.   St. John’s Episcopal Church – 113 Madison Ave
46.   Sayre Street School – 506 Sayre St
47.   Scott Street Firehouse – 418 Scott St
48.   Semple House – S. Court and High Street
49.   Shepherd Building – 312 Montgomery St (Demolished 2010)
50.   Jere Shine Site – Address Restricted
51.   Smith-Joseph-Stratton House – 302 Alabama St.
52.   South Perry Street Historic District – (Perry St. between Washington & Dexter)
53.   Stay House – 631 S. Hull
54.   Steiner-Lobman & Teague Hardware Buildings – 184 & 172 Commerce St.
55.   Stone Plantation – 5001 Old Selma Road
56.   Tankersley Rosenwald School – Hwy 31 in Hope Hull
57.   Dr. C.A. Thigpen House – 1412 S. Perry St.
58.   Tulane Building – 800 High St.
59.   Tyson-Maner House – 469 S. McDonough St.
60.   US Post Office & Courthouse Montgomery – Church St. between Moulton & Lee
61.   Wharton – Chappell House – 1020 Maxwell Blvd.
62.   Winter Building – 2 Dexter Ave
63.   Winter Place – 454 S. Goldthwaite St.
64.   William Lowndes Yancey Law Office – Washington & Perry Streets

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:22:28 PM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
Bluesman had gotten a few pics of the most touristy places and posted them so they will need to be retaken.  The first pics posted here will be when I joined in and was on my white Honda Shadow VLX.

I came across an online photo of those pics recently and decided to resurrect this thread, because it's a great excuse to explore my county and there are more than enough places to keep me or anyone else who wants to join in, busy for awhile.

Quoted info on the properties are lifted from Wikipedia

Pics will be placed in no particular order.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:47:54 AM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »
8. The Cassimus House is a historic Queen Anne style house at 110 North Jackson Street in Montgomery, Alabama. The two-story frame house was completed in 1893. It is the last residential structure remaining in its city block. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 13, 1976







The structure is directly adjacent to a War Memorial





Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
13. The Court Square–Dexter Avenue Historic District is a 17.6-acre (7.1 ha) historic district in downtown Montgomery, Alabama. Centered on the Court Square Fountain, the district includes twenty-seven contributing buildings and two objects. It is roughly bounded by Dexter Avenue, Perry, Court and Monroe streets. Architectural styles in the district include Italianate, Late Victorian, and various Revival styles. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 1, 1982. The boundaries were subsequently increased on August 30, 1984.


 




This area was once home of the Slave Markets in Montgomery, and many years later, the site of this event



Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
27. The Jefferson Franklin Jackson House, commonly known as the Jackson-Community House, is a historic Italianate-style house in Montgomery, Alabama. It was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on July 21, 1978 and to the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1984.

The two-story frame house was built by Jefferson Franklin Jackson in 1853. Jackson served as a United States Attorney for northern and central Alabama. He died during the Civil War years. His wife subsequently remarried to Thomas H. Watts, Governor of Alabama from 1863 to 1865. Descendants of the family owned the house into the 20th century and it remained a residence until 1943.

The house was purchased in 1943 by the Montgomery City Federation of Colored Women's Clubs, an African American organization comprising twenty-five adult clubs and fifteen youth clubs, for use as a meeting place. The Montgomery City Federation had been formed in 1939 with a goal of promoting positive citizenship. The house became known as the Community House and was used as a Girl Scouts headquarters, a social and civic center, and, in December 1948, the first Montgomery library open to African Americans. Significantly, the house was used to host meetings of the Women's Political Council. They were the first group to officially call for a boycott of the racially segregated Montgomery bus system, leading to the Montgomery Bus Boycott.








« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:38:00 AM by Guidedawg »

Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
28. The Governor Thomas G. Jones House is a historic Victorian-style house in Montgomery, Alabama. The two-story frame building was built in 1855. It is best known as the residence of Thomas G. Jones, Alabama's 28th Governor. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 8, 1978.





Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 10:12:49 AM »
37. The Murphy House is a historic Greek Revival style house in Montgomery, Alabama. The two-story masonry building was built for John H. Murphy, a Virginia cotton and slavery merchant who owned a large warehouse at 122 Commerce Street, Montgomery, where slave traders in the 1850s confined slaves until they could be sold at auctions. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 24, 1972.

John H. Murphy moved his family to Montgomery and had completed this house by 1851. In 1854 the Montgomery Water Works Company was chartered, with Murphy serving as director. Murphy died in 1859, but his family stayed in the residence throughout the Civil War. Documented visitors during this period include Jefferson Davis and William Lowndes Yancey. The house became the headquarters of the Union Provost Marshal during the military occupation of Montgomery in 1865.

Little is known about the house following the Civil War. In 1902 the Elks social club bought the house to use as their lodge and maintained it until 1967. In that year they went bankrupt and the house was foreclosed on, later to be sold at public auction. In 1970 the Montgomery Water Works and Sanitary Sewer Board purchased and restored the house to serve as their offices. It has remained in the board's possession to the present day.




 






Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 10:23:26 AM »
41. The Dexter Parsonage Museum, historic home to twelve pastors of the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church from 1920-1992, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. It was restored in 2003 by the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Foundation, Inc., under the direction of church members, acting as an Authentication Committee.

Visitors to the Dexter Parsonage Museum will experience the actual residence where Dr. King and his young family lived between 1954 and 1960; an Interpretive Center, and the King-Johns Garden for Reflection. Parking is available for cars and tour buses.
The Interpretive Center, located adjacent to the Parsonage, features a gift shop, restroom facilities and an orientation room for viewing videos and discussion groups on Dr. King’s family, community, and pastoral life. The permanent exhibit in the Interpretive Center includes a timeline of photographs of the 12 Dexter pastors who lived in the Parsonage, a wall of Pastoral Wisdom (inspiring quotes from several pastors), unpublished photographs of Dr. King, Dexter members, civic/business leaders, and Montgomery ministers active in the bus boycott; and historical accounts on the bombing of the Parsonage and other significant events.

The nine-room clapboard Parsonage, built in 1912, has been restored to its appearance when Dr. King and his family lived there. Much of the furniture presently in the the living room, dining room, bedroom and study was actually used by Dr. King.
 
 The King-Johns Garden for Reflection, located at the rear of the Dexter Parsonage Museum, is nestled in a magnolia tree-lined garden, featuring a sea of white azaleas and crape myrtles. Designed with a circular walkway, symbolizing unity, it provides a quiet space for tourists to reflect on the teachings of two of Dexter’s most renowned ministers.

Many believe that it was by Divine Intervention that those two ministers — VERNON JOHNS (1947-1952) and MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. (1954-1960) — had consecutive pastorates on the eve of the modern Civil Rights Movement. They were men of action, deeply rooted in philosophy and religious faith. Rev. Johns urged his congregation to fight oppression by becoming economically independent; he believed that self-determination was the hallmark of a people’s claim to freedom. Dr. King taught non-violent resistance to oppression as a means of achieving social and political parity. Both men believed that the blessings of liberty were secured by direct action. In the serenity of this garden, you are invited to reflect upon six timeless themes about which Rev. Johns and Dr. King often preached, lectured, and wrote:
Equality, Forgiveness, Hope, Peace, Understanding, Unity


(Above info quoted from website connected to the church and pastorium)









Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
45. St. John's Episcopal Church is a historic Gothic Revival church in Montgomery, Alabama, United States. It was designed by the New York City architectural firm of Frank Wills and Henry Dudley. The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on 24 February 1975.

St. John's parish was organized in 1834 and by 1837 the parishioners had moved into a modest brick sanctuary on the corner of Perry and Jefferson Streets. After little more than a decade, the church needed to expand after the state capital moved to Montgomery and a rise in cotton production swelled the region's population. The current building was completed in 1855, in the same city block as the old, but facing Madison Street.
 
St. John's Episcopal Church was involved in several historic events around the time of the American Civil War. It hosted the Secession Convention of Southern Churches in 1861, which had helped fuel the South's secession movement. St. John's was also the church attended by the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis, when Montgomery was the capital of the Confederate States of America. The church was forced to close its doors in 1865 under Union Army orders; it would reopen for services in 1866.

The old building from the 1830s was torn down in 1869 and its bricks were used to construct an addition to the main structure. The building was expanded again in 1906. The church hosted many Army recruits from the nearby "Camp Sheridan" tent city during World War I, until the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic forced the church to temporarily close its doors.

In May 1925, a bronze plaque in honor of President Jefferson Davis was dedicated.[4] John Trotwood Moore, the State Librarian and Archivist of Tennessee, was invited to give a speech.

The church was renovated in the 1950s and again in 2006.


















Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:50:29 AM »
47. Scott Street Firehouse was built ca 1890, when Montgomery had grown up the hill from downtown, and it was too difficult for the fire horses to pull the heavy fire equipment up the steep slopes to an outbreak. Ergo, they built a new station up the hill in the residential neighborhood. Back then the firefighters were all volunteers; Montgomery did not have a city fire dept until 1898. The horse drawn fire engine era did not end until 1926. The Scott Street station remained in service until 1966. I recall seeing a movie made in Montgomery circa 1915 which showed a horse drawn fire apparatus rushing past the Capitol on Bainbridge Street. The scott street firehouse was added to the National Registry of Historic Places in 1981.

(Taken from Exploring Montgomery Website)





Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
51. Smith-Joseph-Stratton House







Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
58. The Tulane Building is a historic building in Montgomery, Alabama, U.S.. It was built from 1904 to 1908 by Victor Tulane, a black businessman who was a trustee of the Tuskegee Institute. Booker T. Washington visited the Tulane in the building in 1908. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since March 21, 1979.





Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
59. The Tyson-Maner House is a historic mansion in Montgomery, Alabama, U.S.. It was built in 1890 for Archibald Pitt Tyson, a former farmer turned real estate developer. It remained in the family until 1930, as it was inherited by his wife Ellen Nicholson Arrington in 1918 and later by their children. By the 1970s, it belonged to Carl Herbert Lancaster, an architect. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since May 10, 1979.





Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »
62. The Winter Building is a historic building in Montgomery, Alabama, U.S..

The building was erected from 1841 to 1843 for John Gindrat, a cotton broker and banker. It was inherited by his daughter, Mary Elizabeth Gindrat, and her husband, Joseph S. Winter, in 1854.

During the American Civil War of 1861-1865, the second floor was home to the Southern Telegraph Company. It was there that LeRoy Pope Walker, the Confederate States Secretary of War, sent a telegram to General P. G. T. Beauregard to advise him to fire on Fort Sumter, and thus start the Battle of Fort Sumter.

It remained in the same family as late as the 1970s, when it was used for offices and a clothing store.

The building was designed in the Italianate architectural style. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since January 14, 1972.[3]








Offline Guidedawg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 445
Re: Montgomery County
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
15. Dexter Avenue Baptist Church is a Baptist church in Montgomery, Alabama, United States. The church was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1974.

 On January 1, 2008 the US Government also submitted it to UNESCO as part of an envisaged future World Heritage nomination and as such it is on the so-called UNESCO 'Tentative List of World Heritage Sites'. In 1978 the official name was changed to the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church, in memory of Martin Luther King Jr., who helped to organize the Montgomery Bus Boycott in the church's basement. The church is located steps away from the Alabama State Capitol.

The Dexter Avenue Baptist Church congregation was organized in 1877 and was first known as the Second Colored Baptist Church. The church trustees paid $270 on January 30, 1879 for a lot at the corner of what is now Dexter Avenue and Decatur Street. The first church building was a small wood-frame building, it began to be replaced by the current structure in 1883. The new brick building was not completed until 1889. The church began serving the broader African American community on October 3, 1887 when it hosted the first registration of students for Alabama State University. This community service continued into the 20th century with activities associated with the American Civil Rights Movement. In 1899, Selma University cofounder William H. McAlpine became pastor. Vernon Johns, an early leader of the Civil Rights Movement, served as pastor from 1947 to 1952. He was succeeded by Martin Luther King, Jr., who was pastor of the church from 1954 to 1960, and organized the Montgomery Bus Boycott from his basement office.

Near the church is the Dexter Parsonage Museum, which served as home to twelve pastors of the church between 1920 and 1992. The church was added, on its own merits, to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.