Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Brunswick, Canada - The Chuck Palahniuk Ride  (Read 995 times)

Offline Brian A

• Dirty Dozen
  • Enjoy every sandwich.
Re: New Brunswick, Canada - The Chuck Palahniuk Ride
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 11:42:07 AM »
I was just about to pester you on when we would get the next post and when I'm gonna see that bike review.   8).  Keep em coming.

Here is a thread on the Versys 650. You'll find details there. Additional comments regarding the experience on this trip will come later in the RR.

Thx

http://bamarides.com/ride/index.php?topic=1954.msg16869

Offline Brian A

• Dirty Dozen
  • Enjoy every sandwich.
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2017, 10:10:36 AM »
I have not abandoned the RR.

I had to fly to Toronto, drive to London, Ontario, work, then reverse the travel to come back home.

I hope to get some more updates posted in the next few days.

Offline Fencejumper09

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »
Don't worry, we aren't going anywhere!

Offline Brian A

• Dirty Dozen
  • Enjoy every sandwich.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 08:26:12 PM »
With our lunch at Kelly's on King - Pub and Eatery in Saint Stephens behind us we were back on the road headed to Saint Andrews.

It was about a 30 minute ride to Saint Andrews.

Saint Andrews was founded in 1783 by United Empire Loyalists, folks who had been loyal to The Crown in the colonies during the Revolutionary War. Many civilian and soldier loyalists fled to Canada after the signing of The Treaty of Paris. Once there, it wasn't long before they petitioned the government to be allowed to adopt the British legal system they were familiar with instead of the French system that was then in place. The successful petition eventually lead to the predominantly English speaking sections of Canada while Quebec maintained its French pedigree. We sometimes forget that Canada's history, much like America's, is fairly recent history compared to many nations and peoples across the globe.

Saint Andrews is a cool little town. Lot's of old buildings and history that we didn't have the time to peruse and enjoy.

We rode to a spot off a side street where we could take a few photos.

This is where I took my obligatory standing-on-the-bike pic.

We rode a bit further down the road and stopped for a few pics at the lighthouse.

We rode a bit further and stopped at a spot that would give us access to walk out onto the flats that would be underwater when the tide rose. There was a lady walking her dog when we stopped and got off the bikes. She stopped and struck up a conversation. She was a nice lady who would talk the ears off a donkey. She seemed to know everything there was to know about the area and was more than willing to tell you all of it. I entertained her barrage of info for a few minutes then discreetly slipped away, leaving her to further educate Mulley and Lincoln.

I remember I chuckled a little when it popped into my head that she was the equivalent of a human Wikipedia for info on Saint Andrews and the people and everything else you could want to know. And since she was out walking her dog, I thought of her as "Walkapedia".

Ms. Walkapedia, Lincoln and Mulley.

Lots of rocks and the ground was of coarse sand. Not muddy at all really. Very firm footing so walking was easy.

Looking back toward the lighthouse (and our hotel which cannot be seen in this picture).

My feet in the water, in Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada.

I got a small Zip-Loc bag and put some sand in it. I had done the same from both side of the Baja Peninsula. I dried the sand and have the samples in small plastic bottle for keepsakes. I wish I had done the same at Key West and Alaska. I do not kid when I say not having samples from KW and Alaska gives me the itch.....

Wasn't much longer before we were back on the bikes for the mile or two ride to out hotel.

We got checked into our hotel which was a nice place that backed up to the Passamaquoddy Bay which is a bay off the Bay of Fundy. So I guess technically we were not on the Bay of Fundy, but seeing as how it's all the same water, the differentiation was a mere technicality in my mind.

The view off the little deck from our hotel room.

The boats were anchored far from the shore and pier. There were a few small tenders here and there that would presumably be used to get folks to and from their boats. Perhaps some folks swam out when the tide was high, but I really kinda doubt it.

As you can probably tell by the pics, the weather was grey and overcast for the most part. After showering and changing clothes we walked down the sidewalk, headed to a restaurant that had been suggested where we would feast on lobster.

It drizzled rain, but nothing too bad.

I stopped in what appeared to be a main intersection and took pics in all four directions.

We walked out onto the pier where we saw this sign. That's quite a swing from low to high tide.

It was a short walk to the restaurant. Once there, one of the truly, legit most amazing coincidences (if that's the right word) in my life was waiting.

Sometimes things happen that you would think could/would NEVER happen. Not in a thousand years.

But they do.

Offline Bamagator

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
Nice cliffhanger man.  Glad you guys got to hit pause after the fast and furious approach up there.
Life is always good in the BHM!

Offline kdtrull

• Dragons is SO Stupid!!!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 09:56:48 PM »
The tide at Fundy....another incredible spectacle of nature.  WTG fellers.

Offline Brian A

• Dirty Dozen
  • Enjoy every sandwich.
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 11:57:21 AM »
We walked the short distance to The Gables Restaurant. It was a nice place. Kinda cozy and quaint feeling. Definitely nothing like what you would feel in a chain restaurant or other large establishment.

Once inside, we put our name on the books for a table for four. It would be a short wait while our table was cleared and prepared. And it was during these few minutes that the crazy bizarre thing happened. At least it seemed crazy bizarre to me.

I walked over to the corner of the bar near the front door/waiting area and took a look at the guest book. The little book that folks sign just to say "Hey. I was here."

My jaw dropped. The last entry in the book was from a couple who were there from.............................

You guessed it:  Birmingham, Alabama.

I simply could not believe it.

I asked the girl (employee) standing nearby "How often do folks sign this book."  In just a minute or so I learned that the couple from Alabama had just left 5 minutes before we walked in. She said that she had commented to one of her coworkers that they never have anybody from Alabama visit. I told her we were there from the Birmingham area, did not know the folks who had signed before I did, and it was just sheer coincidence that both parties happened to be eating there the same night while visiting from Birmingham. She seemed pretty impressed by the coincidence. "What are the chances?" we both asked. And particularly so when she commented they never have anybody from Alabama visit.

I looked back many, many pages through their guest book and saw not one person from Alabama.

Yes folks, sometimes fact truly is stranger than fiction.

I present to you Exhibit A.

Once at our table I joked with the others that had the couple still been there it would have been easy to find them. Just stand up and yell "Roll Tide" and watch for the reactions.

Dinner was outstanding. We all had lobster and it was very good. Deserts were awesome. The whole experience was worth the 1,500 mile ride to get us there.

Before

After

The view off the back deck of the restaurant

With our bellies full we made our way back to our hotel. We stood out on the back deck and talked for a few minutes. It was nice. Nice to be in Canada on a motorcycle trip with three good friends.

I was in a room with Lincoln that night. We slept with the sliding door onto the deck left open. It was somewhere around 1:30 or 2:00 when I woke. I could hear the water. Small waves breaking.

I got up and looked out the door.  Although it was dark, it was easy to see the water was all the way up to the sea wall now.

It was nothing of monumental significance. I had been there and seen the huge tide swing that gives The Bay of Fundy its claim to fame.

That and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at a fast food joint.

But, I had seen it after having ridden there on my motorcycle from Alabama, with three good guys. Another experience that reminded me how fortunate I am and how, in my opinion, there is no better way to see the world than on a motorcycle.

Back in bed I fell asleep again, listening to the lap of the waves on The Bay of Fundy.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:12:59 PM by Brian A »