Username: Password:

Author Topic: Midway Cycles  (Read 4688 times)

Offline KevinB

Re: Midway Cycles
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2016, 11:49:05 PM »
Bill and I have agreed to disagree...he still defends his tech's PDI and the follow-up work, and is upset that I have trashed his business on BR.

I've already swapped the rim decals and touched-up the paint. We came to an agreement, and he sent me a set of engine guards in lieu of a new wheel.

Now we're square and I can get my break-in miles done.

I know there are others that have had excellent experience with Midway, and I believe this was probably an isolated incident.

While I didn't enjoy the journey, I'm happy with the destination.

Offline Nice Goat

• Motos & Fotos
    • Nice Goat's nice photos
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2016, 12:38:15 AM »
...he still defends his tech's PDI and the follow-up work...

Sounds like a classic case of small business owner being too nice and forgiving to employees.

I wish my boss was a pushover ... then I could be lazy too!   :D
IBA # 63019 / 2017 KTM 350 EXC-F
"Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline." - Me

Offline klaviator

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2016, 06:52:43 AM »
If I was looking for a KTM I'd still buy it at Midway.  Of course I'd also look it over very careful when picking it up but then that's a good idea at any dealer.  When I bought my Versys at Cycles Unlimited, the chain was too tight.  I can't say I found anything wrong with my Majesty which I bought at Allsports.

Keep in mind that most dealers have multiple techs and some are better than others.  I wonder if the tech who set up your bike was the same one who installed the tire on my Majesty?

Offline griff

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2016, 07:28:09 AM »
I've had dealings with Midway for over 20 years. They have always treated me fair and been upfront, honest folks. I will continue to do business with them. Bill has shown a good faith effort to make things right with this situation. I understand it wasn't handled the best. As a dealer his hands are tied on some things like swapping parts off another bike in the showroom.

As a small business owner, one of your biggest challenges is finding qualified help that gives a shit about what they are doing. You're only as good as your worst employee. This applies to my business as well as Bill's. I'm sure Bill is extremely busy throughout the day as most small business owners are. I'm not making excuses for him, just trying to get people to realize the reality of trying to run a small business. Unfortunately, employees will screw up occasionally. You have to rely on your employees as you don't have time to do everything yourself personally. If they drop the ball it can come back to bite you. Sounds like that was the case in the above situation. Reality is everyone makes mistakes occasionally. How it's handled is what makes the difference.
Moto Farkles
'01 KLX300
'01 400EXC tagged
'07 F650gs

Offline Shepcam

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »
He should know by now how social media and the world wide web works and I dont think you bashed them at all, just shared your frustration with a bad experience. Everyone else, myself included did the bashing. I dont know how he can defend his tech that did not provide a PDI checklist and let a bike leave the shop with both tires way under pressured. What if you drove it off and had a wreck due to the tire pressure, that would have been bad on all kinds of levels. I think you have made it clear you wanted to move on and enjoy the bike so he should have no reason to be upset!
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14
2017 Kawasaki KLR 650

Offline KevinB

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »
...effort...

Actually, it's the complete lack of effort that has been my biggest gripe of the situation.

- Incomplete assembly/PDI (no test ride, flat tires)

- It was covered in the dust/dirt that accumulates on a bike that sits for a year when I picked it up. 60 seconds worth of effort to wipe down a new bike about to be delivered to a customer?

- Condition of the bike at re-delivery. Bill delivered the bike back once it was fixed, so he either didn't notice the waterspots, greasy handprints and crud still covering the rear wheel (not to mention the wheel scratches)...or thought it was an acceptable condition to deliver the bike. Again, just a couple of minutes of effort to clean it up would have shown me that there was a modest amount of interest.

- I appreciate the fact he delivered it back to the house for me. I was at work and told him my family would be there to meet him. Later, he sent a message and told me he had dropped it off. When I got home, it was sitting in my driveway with the key on the seat. Now we're back to a common theme...an extra two minutes of time to ring the doorbell so someone could open the garage door was too much to expect on my part? Luckily I live in a decent neighborhood where a motorcycle and key left unattended for several hours isn't (usually) in danger.

I think they're good, honest people and I don't think anything was done with malice. But if you're going to expect customers to come to your business (1.5 hour trip each way in my case) and spend their hard earned money, is it too much to expect on my part that they put in a couple of extra minutes of effort to seem that they want my business?

I'm generally pretty easy to please as a customer. I don't expect or want something for nothing, I don't want preferential or VIP treatment...just act like you want me to come back.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing business with them, but merely relaying my experience and frustration. Again...after hearing from others, I believe mine is the exception. I have no hard feelings, and will probably give them the opportunity for my business again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:08:08 PM by KevinB »

Offline DachshundUberAlles

• Woof
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »
... and is upset that I have trashed his business on BR.

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt it will hurt his business. For all the negative tales told concerning the Big #1, and Willie Smith down here in Tuscaloosa, they are still up and running and making new "friends" regularly. Smith one told me he didn't give a (crap) what people told others about him or his shop, all that mattered was that they mentioned the name because that put the shop name in other people's minds.
There's no such thing as a "REAL RIDER!". If you have a motorcycle, you've done all you need to do.