So the moment finally arrived where I could afford a project bike!
cam21943 posted up the best deal I have seen to date and it came with a 100% money back guarantee! How can you beat that!
We arranged for a pick up time and for some help from local bamariders since I couldn't get any of my "buddies" to take the 4-hour each way trip to Baldwin County. Fate had another plan as my precious little baby Evelyn decided to come into the world 4 days early and start changing daddies plans before she could open her eyes! With loads of family in town the following weekend proved to be our best bet to make this deal happen.
With a trailer and bag full of payment I headed south at 4:45 am (yes the baby had something to do with the early departure). I arrived at Chuck and Susan's beautiful home and was greeting by their amazing 2 greyhounds!
**A little side note. I have only met Chuck and Susan once at the 2016 Rally in the Valley but when I knocked on the door I was directly invited in shown amazing southern hospitality! I really enjoy meeting all the people off of this forum!
After catching up a little, Chuck and I headed outside to see the beauty! Due to some brake issues the riding lawn mower was used to back the bike out of storage and the truck was used to pull it onto the trailer. After a heavy dose of harbor freight ratchet straps and with a truck full of spare parts we headed over to check out the 2016 Goldwing Chuck and Susan recently acquired and my goodness that thing is sweet! Payment was rendered in the form of a 4 pack of Budweiser tall boys and I was off headed north.
I beat the rain home by 15 minutes so I had enough time to unload all the parts and get a tarp over the new Wing!
Sunday morning I started figuring out why it didn’t want to roll and removed the front and rear calipers. The front calipers appear to be in good condition but the rear caliper was real tight on the rotor. I then removed the bags and some other pieces to lighten up the load and hit it with the pressure washer to get some of the pollen and grime off. With a little help from some friends we got the Wing into the basement where it will undergo its transformation.
After some finagling we were able to remove the fairing and get this beast down to it’s fighting weight!
Now that the clothes are removed I got into the mechanical issues! Number one is a carb rebuild!
Other than having a film of varnish and being grimy the interior of the carbs looked pretty good so I cleaned everything up and got a rebuild kit from Randakks Cycle Shak
Before I put the carbs back on I changed the timing belts, which involved removing the radiator so I am also flushing and refilling the fluids. I am trying my best to polish up some of the aluminum pieces but the corrosion is pretty intense so we will see what happens with that. Still waiting on some o-rings and other oem parts before reinstalling the radiator and carbs.
I have the brakes all torn down and ready for a rebuild just waiting for the oem parts.
This is where I am at to date! Hopefully I can keep up this blistering pace!