Username: Password:

Author Topic: Potential fork issue?  (Read 384 times)

Offline WaxVapor02

Potential fork issue?
« on: October 17, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »
I've had my 2002 Honda Reflex for about 2 years now. It's been a great scoot and tons of fun with little issues! However, recently I noticed especially when turning to the left that it feels extremely unsafe and over corrective almost as if the bike is fighting me. This seems to be a recent issue that's arisen and the forks don't look visibly bent, but I know they don't have to be visibly bent for it to affect your ride. I look forward to comments and thank you in advance!

Offline Chuck A.

Re: Potential fork issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:28:58 PM »
Naturally, first thing is to check the front tire for any issues such as belt separation and age. As the tire gets older the rubber gets harder, not sticking to the asphalt as it did when it was newer. If that tire is over 5 years old, it'll be needing replaced even with decent thread left. Also, put the bike on the center stand and have someone hold down the rear end to lift the front tire off the ground. Grab the front forks down by the tire and rock them back and forth looking for play to see if the neck bearing are loose or worn.     
DAMMIT TOOL:
 Any  handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling  "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs. It is also the next tool that you  will need. Chitza

Summary food for thought:
"There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.'- kdtrull

Offline WaxVapor02

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
It very well could be the front tire. While it doesn't look very worn, it's the same tire that was on the bike back in 2014 when I bought it and I obviously don't know it's life before me. I have replaced the rear tire about a year ago since it was badly worn and that improved things tremendously. I'll definitely put it on its center stand as well and check to see if anything is loose. I hope it is the tire or something similar though..much cheaper than a new fork.

Offline yamahamer

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:33:56 PM »
Check the wheel bearings too. They can cause such havoc.